Friday, April 15, 2016

Member Profile: Fumi Urabe 


Fumi Urabe, a long time PWGA member at Salinas Fairway Niners, is a rock star both on and off the course.  Like many female golfers, Fumi originally got involved playing because her husband is an avid golfer. Urabe took her first lessons in her early 20’s and now at the age of nearly 97 (May 10th she will be 97 years old) she hasn’t looked back! “When my three children were younger, I didn’t play as much, but I still found time on the weekends to get out and play a little bit,” said Fumi. Once she became a more active member of her club in the 1980’s, she loved holding office positions. Fumi served as treasurer for the Fairway Niners for many years, and loved providing great prizes and incentives for the players in big tournaments.

When she’s not golfing, Fumi loves to fish in the ocean, bass fishing specifically. The Sea Cliff Pier in Santa Cruz is a frequent, and favorite, fishing spot for Fumi. On a few occasions, she’s caught upwards of 22 pound bass!!

“Some people ask me why I keep playing at my age. And I tell them I do it because I love the game, it’s keeping me young and healthy! Someone told me one time that I might die on the course, and that’s fine by me!” Fumi says. Continuing to walk and play golf is such a great way to keep your body healthy, and the game is so awesome for someone of any age!


Ladies, like Fumi, who have been playing for years are continually puzzled by the fact that there aren’t more ladies out playing! The PWGA has so many opportunities for ladies to get playing, even for beginners. With our Twilight Club, Niner Clubs, 18-hole Women’s clubs, and our NEW Caddie Club for beginners, there are plenty of great ways to get involved in the game! So get playing, or join a PWGA member club! Bring a friend too, because golf is always more enjoyable with a partner. And who knows, maybe you’ll still be playing like Fumi!

4 comments: