Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Meet the Board: Meet Rebecca Reese

Meet Rebecca Reese

by Alejandra Duffy


As you can see, we're starting a new series on our blog to help you get to know our Board members. Maybe you already know some of them, but hopefully you'll understand why they give so much time and love to the Pacific Women's Golf Association after reading each of their stories. 
Today, we're interviewing Rebecca Reese, the Monterey Area Director.

HOW I STARTED MY GOLF JOURNEY

Before I started to play golf, I always wanted to be an Olympic swimmer and win the gold medal for the 100 yard, and 200 yard back stroke. When I was 8 my dad put a tennis racket in my hand and sent me to the courts, or to the pool to work on my stroke, while he went off to play golf. One day I decided I was going with him to the golf course and that was when I got hooked on the game. My dad took me to the driving range and when I could hit a bucket of balls all in the air he said he would take me to a 9 hole course. After that first day at the range, I was at Cherry Chase playing with my family most weekends. My mom took me out with her and her lady friends some times but for the most part I played with my brother at Cherry Chase and Black Berry Farm. Back then it cost only $1.00 for kids to play all day. As my mom said it was cheep baby sitting. I played here in the Bay Area at Sunnyvale, and Palo Alto for most of my youth. 

GOLF ANYWHERE I GO

I went to San Jose State University and played golf on the girls team. I played with some great girls, Pelar Delrado, Lisa Baxter, Lyn Nelson, Eva Monisteri, and Julie Simpson. I also played against some great girls from Stanford, Sally Voss and Pat Cornet.  

WHY I KEEP PLAYING

Since I graduated, golf has been a part of my life. I have used it in both work and pleasure.  Throughout the last 35 years I have belonged to a few courses and played in many competitions. I have always enjoyed the competitions that the PWGA, WGANC, NCGA, and USGA offered. Although I was not always successful, I was thrilled to have competed, qualify, and make to match play in some of the majors. My biggest success was qualifying for the USGA Mid-Am and making it to the quarters. I was a decent golfer at one time, when I was young.   

MY ULTIMATE GOLF DREAM

My dream round of golf would be to play with my dad, and shoot a 59. I guess I will settle for shooting that on 9 holes now. All kidding aside, I would also like to play golf on all continents. For those of you who have not met me I did hit a golf ball while I was at the south poll. It did not go very far must have been the weather. I still have a few more places to visit. My advice to everyone is: there is no crying in golf and keep your head down.

No comments:

Post a Comment